Having good computer desk is a must for some people. Nowadays, you’ll be presented with plenty of choices of computer desks, it includes different materials, shapes, and sizes. When it comes to material, it can be made of wood, metal, fiberglass or a combination of materials. A computer desk is not only a place to store computer set but also your home office accessories, books, magazines, writing utensils, papers, and other devices. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of great computer desk options on the market out there. Let’s take a look at some aspects that you will need to consider when finding the best computer desk for your home office.
First of all, make sure you measure the space you have in your home office for a computer desk. The size of the computer desk is the first aspect you have to think about when buying a computer desk. You’ll need to find an appropriately sized desk for your purposes. There isn’t really a standard size when it comes to the computer desk, but most of it starts at 60 x 30 x 30 inches (Width x Depth x Height). Flexibility is the main design criteria in computer desk since it must carry various computer components, such as the monitor, CPU, keyboard, computer speakers, printer, etc.
A computer desk also comes in a variety of shapes. A corner computer desk is the best option if you have small space. There are plenty of different designs that you can choose for corner shaped computer desks, L-shaped, U-shaped, or a traditional rectangular desk. A corner computer desk is a space-saving solution, but it creates a very informal feeling in your home office. L-shaped desk requires less space and tend to be more affordable than the U-shaped desk. Once again, whichever shape you prefer, make sure you know the measurements of your home office room and the desk’s measurements so you can be sure the desk will fit perfectly.
Choosing the right computer desk material is another consideration. However, it depends on your personal preference, as well as your needs and how you plan to use a computer desk in your home office. The materials can be wood, glass, or metal.
- Wood. The most common choice of material for your home office. It can match the other furniture that you already have. Generally, there are three varieties of wood type for computer desks, including oak, mahogany and cherry wood. Affordable wood computer desks come in inexpensive chipboard but it doesn’t last long and tend to break down easily as it is not a very sturdy material.
- Glass. Glass computer desk is a trendy and modern office furniture that you can have today. There are various shapes of glass computer desk available on the market. L-shaped and corner computer desks are quickly becoming a popular choice because they’re easy to assemble and easily customizable. Therefore they are available in various prices from super cheap to super expensive, while most of the expensive desks built with quality tempered glass.
- Metal. Choosing metal computer desk is a great way to create an industrial look for your home office space. A metal desk is a stunning piece that lightens and brightens any workspace. Even though it’s not as warm looking as wood desk, metal computer desk is more durable than any other other material.
Below, I’ve rounded up Best Computer Desk Under $200 of 2018 in a variety of styles:
This computer desk is perfect for everything. I love how super easy this is to assemble(took about 5 – 10 minutes), comes with solid and durable materials, the dimensions are perfect when unfolded (Approx. 47.4” W x 23.6” D x 29.9” H). It’s very lightweight and foldable, a good option for someone who moves a lot. It has enough space for leg room underneath and even if you’re a tall person, you can still stretch your leg with ease.
Origami offers one-year limited warranty, for more details you can read it here. The desk surface is quite large and doesn’t feel cheap at all, it also has enough space for your computer, monitor, speakers, printer, and gaming accessories. However, it does scratch fairly easily but a quick swipe with a paste made of mineral oil and pumice.
- A foldable desk with many features
- The size is perfect, it fits everything
- An option for people who moves a lot
- Extremely sturdy and doesn’t move at all
- Like I mentioned above, the desk top isn’t scratch resistant
- There’s no keyboard tray under the desk
This wooden computer desk offers a classic look with the espresso color(a deep, very dark brown). The desk is made of high-quality real wood that will age beautifully. The desk is very light and easy to set up as the instructions are simple.The dimensions(Depth x Width x Height) of this Stony-Edge wooden folding computer desk are 18 x 36 x 30 inches and weight of the computer desk is only 31 lbs.
There are no tools needed and literally, you can set up the desk right away. It took about 5 – 10 minutes to complete the assembly. Many users report Stony-Edge delivers fantastic customer service to assist them and they also promised to pack well the folding computer desk. Stony-Edge is a company that well-known for its affordable products with an outstanding quality
- A sturdy and lightweight wooden computer desk is a unique addition to your home office
- If you hate assembling furniture, then this is for you
- The product was exactly as advertised, at a very reasonable price.
- A great little desk for your small home office space
- The espresso color makes it easy to mix and match with other furniture pieces
- Not an option if you’re looking for a fancy furniture
- The keyboard shelf does not slide smoothly
- Slightly sway when typing
Made in North America, this desk available in six colors: black, country pine, natural maple, white, royal cherry, and soft gray. The dimensions(Depth x Width x Height) of this South Shore Axess desk are 20 x 42 x 36.8 inches and weight capacity of the top desk is 25 lbs. A genius pairing of functionality and style with their design that brings you sleek, clean and modern feel to your home office.
It comes with adjustable shelf and plenty of space for a full keyboard with numeric keypad, and also a mouse. The keyboard tray is a nice added feature to save some space on the top. The finish looks stunning because it’s not too shiny or glossy. South Shore Axess desk also offer 5-year quality guarantee, for more information about their warranty, you can read it here.
- A reasonably priced for the size and features of the desk
- A very detailed assembly instructions and easy to follow(step-by-step instructions)
- It fits perfectly for a small home office space
- The desk is completely stable
- For under $200, this one is definitely worth the money
- There’s no room for a printer. you might want to buy a separate printer stand
- The edge of the desk top is quite sharp which makes you uncomfortable as it can hurt your arm
- It’s a little bit heavy and took hours to assemble
A nice touch finish with cherry color and black accents. This desk comes with a quality clear tempered glass, it also has plenty of space in the keyboard tray for a gaming keyboard and large gaming mouse pad that gives you easier mouse movement. The keyboard tray also very sturdy and you can slide in and out smoothly. The dimensions(Depth x Width x Height) of this Z-Line Designs Cyrus Workstation are 26 x 48 x 36 inches and weighed 71.7 lbs.
This desk is a great choice if you are looking for plenty of legroom even you can stretch your legs under the keyboard tray. You might need a power tool to make it easy to assemble the desk. No need to worry about cable management as the desk does a good job hiding the cables at the back panel.
- A good value for the price because it’s a gorgeously designed, and sturdy too
- It’s a large desk which can fit any gaming accessories
- Rolling wheels on the bottom make it easy to move around this desk
- The glass surface is tempered and it is so thick
- There’s plenty of shelves available for your needs
- It was easy to assemble but it took over two hours to put together
- Stickers on glass don’t come off easily and leave glue residue when you try to remove it, I suggest you use hot soapy water to remove any glue residue, it’s the easiest way to remove stickers from glass
- You will need a power tool because some user reported that they can’t tighten all of the bolts.
Made of composite wood and Formica, there are many benefits you can get from this essential computer desk. For instance, OneSpace design this in 2 colorways, black and white, with the hutch attached for the keyboard. They also offer fully adjustable shelf. The dimensions(Depth x Width x Height) of this OneSpace 50-LD0105 essential computer desk are 21.8 x 43.25 x 37.5 inches and weight of the computer desk is 76 lbs.
The assembly instructions are easy to follow and very straightforward, it took about one hour or so to assemble the desk. Although the instruction says that not to use power tools, I definitely recommend you use a power drill as a screwdriver. Ample desk surface with fair space makes it easy for you to do any task or multi-task.
- Great price
- Super sturdy desk
- Very solid and good quality material
- Easy to follow instructions and it doesn’t take much time to assemble
- Required tools to assemble included (screw, nuts, plugs, etc)
- The box was heavy, but I’m sure it is for extra protection from scratches
- Some places needed to have holes, you have to make them by yourself
A made in the USA computer desk by Sauder and great quality for the price. It has a nice finish touch with antique black color. It’s really sturdy and looks fantastic for a small home office. The instructions for assembling the desk are pretty clear and easy to follow but it is a time consuming for sure. You might need a hammer and a Phillips screwdriver to assemble the desk. The quality of the wood is top-notch, made of solid wood. As a result, every piece of it has a lively and unique appearance.
The Drawers slide in and out smoothly, you can tell that they have strong attention to detail in drawers. Like I said earlier this desk is a great addition to your home office and a good alternative to pricey wooden desk out there. Sauder is not just delivering a good product, but also delivering good customer service.
- Functional desk with two drawers
- Solid construction
- Available in 2 colors, antique black and antiqued white Finish
- Just the right size for limited space
- It took about 2 hours to put together, I suggest two people working together
- They don’t provide tools to assemble the desk
What I like the most in this desk is fact that it combines ergonomic shape with esthetic design (combination of metal and glass). The Laminated wood keyboard tray quality is much better than other desks within this price range and also provide a nice wide keyboard tray (wide enough to hold a full-size keyboard and a large mousepad). However, the keyboard tray does not pull out quite far enough.
The dimensions(Depth x Width x Height) of King’s Brand 2950 desk are 20 x 23.6 x 29.5 inches and weighed 55 pounds. It has sufficient space under the desk to comfortably stretch legs. The glass and metal combination make this computer desk looks classy and It seems sturdy enough.
- For under $200 you get a sturdy desk with very little assembly required
- Thick and tempered glass top
- Great size for a small home office
- Plenty of room on the keyboard tray for your gaming gear
- There’s a minor issue with the keyboard tray slide like I mentioned earlier
- The keyboard tray is quite low
Armanto Putra is a full-time blogger, with a passion for online entrepreneurship and enjoying his computer desk so much. Through this blog, he’d like to help you find the right computer desk. Hope you enjoy it!