One such important item in the home office is the computer desk. As the majority of the home offices are small, so they suffer from a lack of space. They are specially designed for having a computer and its components. A good computer desk can make your entire job much easier and much more enjoyable.
It doesn’t have to be a fancy one to make you feel like that, but you could choose a simple and ergonomic computer desk and it will work nicely. The slim proportion and simple design can blend into any kind of work or study space.
Last time I discussed great inexpensive office supplies for a startup business in 2019, those ideas will help you whip up surprisingly good office supplies without breaking your bank. You can put some of your office supplies on the computer desk, so you will need a durable and sturdy computer desk. Well, now I think it’s the time to break down the most wanted computer desk for tiny spaces.
I spend a lot of time and effort analyzing about hundreds of computer desks from countless manufacturers, by considering customer reviews, ratings, unboxing video, and a bunch of other aspects to find out which computer desks that bring you to the maximum satisfaction. I know that everyone’s taste is different, that’s totally just fine but I just like to share some reviews with you all.
You spend eight hours a day at your desk in the office, that is your daily routine, right? and you might be wondering what does the ideal desk look like? When Shopping for an ideal computer desk, there are some features that you cannot afford to overlook.
Otherwise, you may end up with something rather unlovely. The best computer desks go beyond what you’d expect. Many offer resounding modern designs, high-grade materials, easy assembly, and built-in storage.
Here are some things you should consider before purchasing a computer desk for the home office:
Computer desk comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. There are L-shape or corner desk, u-shape desk, rectangle desk, and stand-up desk.
- L-shape or better known as corner desk gives you sleek and modern, yet very functional design. It’s my favorite for offices with limited space, it can maximize office space without taking up too much space. You will get plenty of surface area to put two monitors, a telephone, printer, digital clock and any office supplies such as papers, notebooks, stationery, pens, toner, and almost anything else you might need. Companies like Sauder, Bush Furniture, and SHW make L-shape desk become even more popular and receive more attention, but make sure you look for the features they have first, then you go for the brand name second.
- The U-shape desk allows you to have a lot of extra storage space, but it takes a little more space than a regular or l-shape desk. It can be used to accommodate your company’s meeting. Plenty of space for working equals increasing productivity, you can place many documents on the desk and you can do the multitasking right away. It usually comes with so many hutches, you can place peripheral equipment like mobile phones, speakers, digital cameras, smart card readers, etc.
- Stand-up desk is a solution for you whenever you’re getting tired of the regular desk and feeling sore from sitting for too long. Even if you have the fanciest computer chair, sometimes you’ll still get a little antsy or fidgety. So switching between sitting and standing helps alleviates that problem. Sure if you don’t have a standing desk, just stretching or taking a water break regularly is going to be good enough. But if you’re deep in some work, standing at your desk lets you stretch your legs and pace around and still keep focused on your work. Even when you’re not working, having a standing desk at home makes it a lot more convenient to jump on and off the computer to change a song, google something or respond to some email that can sporadically occur throughout the day.
The material of the desk must fit the rest of the office’s interior to make your home office looks smart and professional. Actually, It depends on your own taste. Therefore, there is a chance you can easily start to get bored with your desk if it does not suit your needs.
It’s going to be a huge factor in the overall appearance of your workplace. Some common materials that are available in the market are metal, glass, wood, and laminate or a combination of any of such materials.
The most classic material required for any computer desks have been around for some centuries. Woods are the most used material because due to its sturdiness, durability, and elegant vintage look. It’s up to you whether you want to pick a cheap particle board or the expensive one like solid wood.
If budget is your problem then you can go for materials like veneers and laminates. But if you have a flexible budget, it should be a good idea to buy solid wood materials computer desk such as solid oak, maple wood, pine, and the most prestigious wood, cherry wood.
A glass desk can give you a fancy look and fits perfectly for the modern setting room. Paired with a touch of metal or wood, it will add some class and expand visual space to your home office. There are a variety of glass computer desks available.
If the budget you have is not enough, you can decide to go with the low-cost option such as frosted glass or you can go with the luxurious design like tempered glass tops, depending on your need. Just keep in mind that glass desk is much lighter as compared to wooden or metal materials.
Most of metal computer desks are strong and heavy, it can be steel or aluminum and like everyone’s favorite the black desks always selling fast because it matches the rest of your home office supplies. It can really energize employees and modernize an office.
A metal computer desk can be paired with woods or glasses for a stunning look. Some computer desks are made of light-weight metal, It is cheaper and long-lasting.
You can improve your posture with the ergonomic computer desks. If you’re spending a lot of time in front of a computer, maintaining good posture is a must. Here are four ways to avoid sitting incorrectly at your desk:
- Don’t sit up straight. Sitting up perfect straight might look like the most professional and ergonomic posture and it definitely feels okay at the beginning, but over long periods of time, a straight vertical posture puts a lot of unnecessary strain directly on your spine as you try to hold yourself up. Try locking your chair in a reclined position to have the back of your chair help support part of your body weight. Even a slight tilt can make a huge difference to your comfort over a long period of time.
- Don’t set your chair height for your legs. The first thing most of us do when we get a new office chair is to adjust the seat height, so our feet are firmly planted on the floor. While this isn’t completely incorrect, for a computer setup you should actually adjust the seat height depending on where your keyboard and mouse are. Most desks aren’t height adjustable, and keyboard trays are becoming increasingly rare. This means in most setups you can’t move how high or low your keyboard and mouse are going to be, so they are pretty fixed accessories that should dictate your seat height.
- Use a wrist rest. it should be used to support the palms of your hands, not your wrists. Your palms are less sensitive to the pressure of holding up your arms and will help keep the rest of your arm in line. The goal here is to try and keep your arms and wrists in line and avoid creating any uncomfortable pressure points on your wrists. Or alternatively, I enjoy using low profile keyboards so I can support my entire arm on the desk and still keep everything in line.
- Be active. Don’t sit in front of your desk all day long, move your footrest around, change the recline on your chair, stand up for a bit if you can, or just walk away from the desk to grab some water.
Take a look at the video from TechInsider speaks about the proper way to sit at your desk:
One of the key factors to help you design the best home office. Make sure to always read the computer desks dimensions before you purchase any computer desks. Height-adjustable desks have become quite popular in recent years, it allows you to change postures from sitting to standing height easily.
The common dimensions for a computer desk are 24″ – 60″ in width, 20″ – 30″ in depth, 24″ – 28″ in height.
Everything on the list below is priced at under $60. If budget is your main concern, this list of top computer desks for small space might suit your needs.
For the start, I start with the multipurpose computer and writing desk by Furinno. If you want a modern small desk yet functional then this one is for you. It fit the bills and quite suitable for any office setting. So, it’s time to upgrade your office set up.
- Pretty cheap
- It can fit computer and its peripherals just right
- Fairly easy to install the desk
- Smell-free desk
- The keyboatd doesn’t hold properly
- The assembly instructions could be better
The OneSpace stanton computer desk is great if you’re looking for an addition to your small home office. Even though its small size there is plenty of space for a keyboard, printer, scanner, etc. It is a basic desk that everyone’s going to love it.
- Sturdy and plenty of room for your things
- You can put the desk together in about 10 ten minutes
- Lightweight and compact
- Over 800 positive reviews
- The keyboard tray does not slide smoothly
- The keyboard tray could have been a little larger
The Seville Classics laptop desk brings you simplicity plus lower cost at its best. Priced under $50 and you can go with black, white or walnut. There is a simple twist of a knob so you can easily adjust the desk height to accommodate your sitting or standing needs.
- Easy to put together with clearly written instructions (hardware included)
- Sturdy construction
- The powder-coated steel finish is in great quality
- Solid quality materials
- The desk was very well packaged
- It doesn’t have wheels lock
The Furinno 14054 computer desk has a good looking without losing its functionality. It also has a small hutch so you can put any stationery you have with ease. The desk is great for basic computer use, a small desk that can get the job done.
- Small desk with good features
- Fair and reasonable price
- Available in two elegant colors
- Particularly difficult to assemble
- Took more than one person to assemble the desk
Portable standing desk by Avantree is completely useful. You can use it when you are standing at work, sitting on the floor, sitting on a sofa, relaxing in bed and even sitting on outdoor picnic. The packaging was great and obviously, this is a great buy.
- Lightweight and simple to use
- Holds a large laptop and stable
- Great durability and non-cheap feeling
- MacBook Pro's best friend
- For a tall guy, you can’t fully cross your leg which is a very minor con
White computer desk by Flash Furniture is a tiny desk but definitely suits your needs. It can fit a personal computer or a laptop and its accessories such as a mouse, mousepad, keyboard, speaker, printer, etc. You’ll be glad if you decide to purchase this desk.
- Great finish
- Sturdy desk and adjustable
- Took 5 minutes to assemble
- Unbeatable price for its quality
- For its size, this desk is probably the easiest assembly ever!
- Old-school design
- The main shelf is a little bit small
Minimalist laptop desk by Lap Desk fits your large laptop, you can do your work while sitting on the couch. You can use it not just for a laptop but for reading, writing, drawing or even eating. There are so many colors you can choose from.
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Cellphone slot
- Ergonomics and multi functional desk
- Attractive colors
- Limited space
- The black color is more expensive than other colors
The quality the Tabletote compact laptop delivers is totally worth every cent and good for any home office setting. It can hold a heavy laptop and still have a room for a mouse or clock desk. You can install this laptop stand in under a minute. Be sure to check it out on Amazon.
- Adjustable height. So you can adjust at whatever height you want depending on the chair
- It comes with a cup holder
- Fits perfectly into a backpack. It only took a couple minute to pack up
- Super mobile. You can use this anywhere you want
- You can use it as a projector stand when the legs are fully extended
- A little bit wobbly since it’s lightweight
- The cup holder is a little too small
Another computer desk from Furinno, but this one is my second best on the list. For a desk that priced under $40, you will get a high-quality material, easy to put together even you can do it by yourself, supremely stable, and it doesn't take a lot of space, either.
- You get what you paid for
- It can fit multiple monitors
- So many colors to choose from
- Lightweight but it won’t wobble
- Well packaged by Furinno
- Also best seller on Amazon
- Lack of keyboard tray
Mobile & compact workstation desk by Techni Mobili ranks the first in my list for the top ten computer desks for small spaces. This desk is your last stop after searched countless hours trying to choose just the right computer desk without breaking the bank.
- Best seller on Amazon
- Super easy to assemble, it can be done with one person
- Extremely sturdy
- Perfect desk for a small, tight space
- Ergonomics design
- It’s lightweight, make it easy to move around if you need to
- Every part doesn’t feel cheap at all
- Lack of mouse room on the keyboard tray
Armanto Putra is a full-time blogger, with a passion for online entrepreneurship and enjoying his computer desk so much. Through this blog, he’d like to help you find the right computer desk. Hope you enjoy it!